A pillar page is a type of long-form content that serves as the prominent resource or “pillar” on a precise topic for a website. It generally includes a comprehensive overview of the subject. Also, it may contain subtopics, internal links to other related content on the website, and external resources for further reading. The goal of a pillar page is to launch the website as a reputable source of information on the topic and to improve the website’s search engine optimization by showing that it has a breadth of relevant content.
Steps to Create a Pillar Page
- Identify the main topic or theme of the Pillar page: This is the topic that is relevant to your audience and aligns with your business goals.
- Create a content outline: Once you have identified the main topic, create a list of subtopics that you want to cover within the Pillar page. These subtopics should be closely related to the main subject and provide a comprehensive overview of the target topic.
- Research and gather information: Gather information on the main topic and subtopics by conducting research using various sources such as online articles, books, and industry experts. This information should be accurate, up-to-date, and relevant to your target audience.
- Create the content: Use the information gathered during the research phase to create the content for the Pillar page. The content should be well-written, easy to understand, and formatted in a user-friendly way.
- Optimize the content for SEO: Optimize the content by including relevant keywords in the title, meta description, headings, and throughout the body of the text. It will help the Pillar page rank higher in search engine results.
- Add visuals: To make the Pillar page more engaging, consider adding multimedia such as images, videos, and infographics.
- Publish and promote: Once the Pillar page is complete, publish it on your website and promote it through various channels such as social media, email marketing, and paid advertising.
- Monitor and update: Regularly monitor the performance of the Pillar page and update the content as needed. It will help ensure that the information is accurate, up-to-date, and relevant to your target audience.
It’s important to note that Pillar pages are long-form, in-depth content that usually covers a wide range of subtopics related to a single main topic. These pages are a valuable and helpful resource for your target audience and to rank well in search engines.
Why Pillar Pages Matters For Your SEO Strategy?
Pillar pages are an essential component of an effective SEO strategy for several reasons:
- They help establish your website as an authority on a specific topic. By creating a comprehensive page that covers all aspects of a particular subject, you signal to search engines that your site is a reliable source of information on that topic.
- Help to improve user experience. Pillar pages provide a one-stop solution for users looking for information on a specific topic, making it easy for them to find the information they need without having to navigate via multiple pages.
- Support internal linking. By linking to other related web pages on your site from your pillar page, you can enhance the visibility of those pages to search engines, helping them to rank higher in search results.
- They help with keyword targeting. By focusing on a specific topic, pillar pages allow you to target precise keywords related to that topic, increasing the chances of your site ranking for those keywords.
Overall, pillar pages play a crucial role in creating an emphatic and effective SEO strategy, helping to establish your site as an authority on specific topics, improving user experience, supporting internal linking, and targeting precise keywords.